Can't access challenge two

Hi, I just completed the first challenge albeit a day late but am not able to access the second challenge. Wondering if there is anything I can do?

Same for me! Any way I can access Challenge 2? I want to catch up to my teammates.

Hi there,

There is only one challenge available per day. If you completed the first challenge today, then the second challenge will be open tomorrow.

Everyone has until October 28th to finish the 21 challenges!

Thank you for participating in the challenge :slight_smile:

Really? That’s disappointing. So anyone who misses a day will always be a day behind their teammates and ineligible for the prizes?

Hi there,

Our Coding Challenge was created in order for participants to start a daily coding habit, all beginning on Day 1 (Oct 1st) and then building a habit of coding daily. The draw for the Daily Prizes reflects this concept.

Whether or not you complete challenges, if you register you are still eligible for a chance to win the Grand Prize (Trip to San Fran). If you finish all the coding challenges successfully by October 28th (we gave a 7 day grace period), you are eligible for a chance to win the 3 larger Finalist prizes: MacBook Air, Oculus Rift &Touch System, Samsung Level On Headphones.

There is also a team prize of a $500 Gift Card to the team with the most points at the end of the challenge (Oct 28th).

Thanks for joining the challenge!

The trouble with that, though, is that once somebody misses a day for any reason, they have absolutely no motivation to complete the challenges daily.

I’m still going to complete them, but I find it really disappointing and demotivating. I understand making someone ineligible for that day’s daily prize if they fail to complete a challenge on time, but never getting to be back in step with their team or eligible for other daily prizes is kind of a major setback, especially this early on.

I hope it’s something you’ll reconsider; I love the concept of the challenge, but this takes a lot out of it for me.

The fact that you only get one challenge to complete a day wasn’t communicated clearly.

I get why you’re doing it, but I hope this expectation / consequence will be communicated more clearly next time, especially when you’re doing it as a team. I told my teammates that they could catch up when they come back if they happen to be away for a few days.

And as team captain, I would have done WAY MORE to make sure my 100+ members all started on Day 1.

Hi Jenny,

Our T&C states: “Starting on October 1, 2018 and each Day thereafter until October 21, 2018, the Sponsor will release one (1) Daily Coding Challenge – which, requires you to solve a JavaScript based question by providing their own JavaScript code as the answer.” https://coding-challenge.lighthouselabs.ca/terms

Thanks for participating!

It’s not really about the prizes for me, it’s about getting my team to learn as much JS as possible. Most of my team are international so not eligible for prizing.

Having that important statement buried in the T&C isn’t helpful for me as a team captain. I need to know how the challenges work so I can set up my system to help my team as much as possible. For example, this has already affected how I organize my Slack channel. Since this was not a well-known fact, I think a lot of my team who hasn’t started will be a lot less motivated to start.

I’m hoping that Lighthouse can better support team captains in upcoming challenges, since we’re huge drivers and motivators of our teams and recognize us as your biggest supporters. I don’t know if you recognize this from your response.

I have to agree with @jennyc. Having no way to catch up, while the entire team is discussing and bonding around a completely different problem than the one you’re on, is really very discouraging.

The Terms and Conditions reference doesn’t clarify anything.
Rather, that excerpt seems to say that challenges are available to everyone after they are released, which is not the case.
In fact, the T&C says “Each Daily Coding Challenge can be completed: (i) on the Day it is released; or (ii) on any subsequent Day during the Participation Period after it is released.”
This is not upheld by the current format. If the preceding Challenges aren’t completed, the current Challenge cannot be completed.

What was included were not the full terms and conditions, but rather the relevant point(s) to what was asked earlier in the thread. The full terms & conditions for the daily coding challenges state:

“Starting on October 1, 2018 and each Day thereafter until October 21, 2018, the Sponsor will release one (1) Daily Coding Challenge – which, requires you to solve a JavaScript-based question by providing their own JavaScript code as the answer. (each, a “Daily Coding Challenge” and collectively the “Daily Coding Challenges”). For the avoidance of any doubt, there will be one (1) Daily Coding Challenge in relation to each Day during the time frame outlined above – for a total of twenty-one (21) Daily Coding Challenges in the Contest. Each Daily Coding Challenge can be completed: (i) on the Day it is released; or (ii) on any subsequent Day during the Participation Period after it is released. HOWEVER, TO EARN A DAILY PRIZE ENTRY (DEFINED BELOW) YOU MUST COMPLETE THE DAILY CODING CHALLENGE ON THE DAY IT IS RELEASED. Once a Daily Coding Challenge has been correctly completed (as determined by the Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion), it cannot be completed again. Until such time as a Daily Coding Challenge has been correctly completed (as determined by the Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion), you are permitted to repeat the Daily Coding Challenge. All Daily Coding Challenges are free to complete.”

You can read them here.

Thanks again for taking part :slight_smile:

“I need to know how the challenges work so I can set up my system to help my team as much as possible”

This is why you read the full contest rules, which is a pretty obvious link on the home page. Perhaps LHL should make this rule more apparent next time. It was a crucial rule that a lot of participants missed.

We always welcome feedback and will definitely take this into account moving forward when deciding contest rules next time around :slight_smile:

Like I said, most of my team is international, so it’s NOT about the winning the prize for us.Therefore, I didn’t pay as much attention to the full terms and conditions.

Judging from how many people didn’t get the message in this forum alone, it’s clear that the communication around this was poor.

I imagine what is attempted at being prevented is people doing all the challenges at once on one of the last days. Maybe in the future unlocking one extra per day if you’re not up to the current day could be reasonable in the future to let teams catch up. Adding this would just make it even that more complex though.

I get the incentive, but I also understand how demotivating it is when you forget a day and don’t have a way to recover from it.